Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Vampire Diaries

As you may know I am a total tv series junkie :D One of my favorite new tv shows is CW's The Vampire Diaries. I must admit that what made me even consider watching this show was the fact that there were vampires involved and, of course, Ian Somerhalder :D But it gets better with every episode, so in case you're not watching it, I highly recommend it :D
There are a few resemblances between The Twilight Saga and Vampire Diaries, and I think that is part of the show's success. First of all, the main idea of the show. A "good, vegetarian" vampire, Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) falls in love with a human, Elena (Nina Dobrev). The twist, and the most interesting part, is Stefan's big brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder), the villain of the story, also a vampire, but not so good and as vegetarian ;) Also, this past episode, the 5th of the season, Elena found out that Stefan is not human. She figured it out by investigating, on her own terms, just like Bella did. Now what's left to see is if Elena reacts the same way to the truth as Bella. I, for one, hope she does.

Here are two quotes of the series.
The first one is a conversation between Damon and Caroline, one of his victims, about...New Moon :D
Damon [reading "New Moon"]: “What’s so special about this Bella girl? Edward’s so whipped!”
Caroline: “You gotta read the first book first! It won’t make sense if you don’t.”
Damon: “I miss Anne Rice! She was so on it!”
Caroline: “How come you don’t sparkle?”
Damon: “Because I live in the real world where vampires burn in the Sun!”

The second one is Elena's entry from the diary from the moment she realized Stefan is not human. Love it!
Elena: “Dear diary, I am not a believer. People are born, they grow old and then they die. That’s the world we live in. There is no magic, no mysticism, no immortality. There is nothing that defies rational thought. People are supposed to be who they say they are and not lie or hide their true selves. It’s not possible! I’m not a believer! I can’t be! But how can I deny what’s right in front of me? Someone who never grows old, never gets hurt, someone who changes in ways that can’t be explained… Girls bitten, bodies drained of blood… ” [goes to Stefan's house] “What are you?!”

No comments: